?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
Some Structural Aspects of Yun Dongju’s Poetry

Mark Peterson
Brigham Young University

Yun Dongju was one of Korea’s finest poets at time when it was difficult to be a poet – during the Japanese period.  Or was it because of the frustrations of being a subjugated people that the poets found expression of their frustrations in poetry.  The expressions of Yun Dongju were both new and yet based in old forms and structures that helped the writer and reader to understand and in ways that he may not have recognized, helped both writer and reader to feel what the poetry was about.  
        Yun’s poetry, like that of his contemporaries, Kim Sowol and Yi Sang, was new and found expressiveness in the newly revived hangul script that had been around for 400 years, but like the Korean people of the 1920s and 30s, was suppressed.  Perhaps there was extraordinary satisfaction in writing in hangul precisely because it was traditionally a subversive script.  The very act of writing in Korean had just twenty years earlier been a clandestine activity, now in the 1920s and 30s, though accepted by the Japanese as an act as natural as writing in hiragana or katagana, still held the memory of being an act of subtle rebellion.  At one level the Korean writers who flourished in the 1920s and 30s were by their very act of writing in hangul, rebelling.  Thus is was natural that the things they wrote were subtly subversive, and the readers and writers both knew how to read between the lines.
        All three of these great writers had been imprisoned and had died at the hands of the Japanese – all in their 30s.  Though they were young, they knew how to write.  Perhaps it was the angst of their time, their “han”, that they could find a voice in poetry because other voices were suppressed.  And for each of them, it was not just the newness of hangul that made their works resonate with their readers, but it was the divergence from old patterns that helped make the new patterns appealing.  Rhythms of old poems, particularly sijo, but also kasa and even pansori are found in these so-called new poems of the early twentieth century.  At least that is the way I see these poems, and I will try to present several examples to illustrate my point of view in this paper.
        I also want to make a statement about translation of Korean poetry into English (or any other language for that matter).  I would urge translators of Korea poetry to be respectful of the original – not only of the words and meaning, but, in poetry, also of the structure of the poem.  I think the English presentation of the poetry should reflect very closely the structure of the original Korea piece.  Why?, because in traditional Korean poetry, structure was of the essence.  It was what make the sijo a sijo, or made the kasa a kasa.  And in the twentieth century when the poem was liberated and set free upon the page, it was those old foundations in traditional poetry that were the underpinnings of the modern poems.  And in their apparent structurelessness, there is still the structure.  It is the structure that makes the anti-structure meaningful.  And the anti-structure, or the rebellion against structure that, is in itself, and new structure.  I will give some examples.
        I also want to critique a few poems, not for the purpose of criticizing the specific authors, but to argue that certain precautions ought to be taken when translating Korean poetry into English.  Namely, the product should be good English.  Poetry presented in some kind of Konglish – a non-standard English – will harm the presentation of Korean literature in the new language and would better off not be done at all, perhaps.  Let’s look at some examples.  Look at these two translations of Yun Dongju’s “Gil” or “The Road”.

THE ROAD / Yun Donju

Lost
since I do not know where and what I lost
my two hands stretch deeply forward  
fumbling in my pocket

Rocks and rocks and rocks  
ceaselessly follow one after another  
making the road curve along the stone walls

The wall, whose iron door is firmly locked,  
casts a long shadow on the road.

The road links morning to evening,
evening to morning  

Looking up at the sky in tears
after fumbling with the stone wall  
the blueness shames me

The reason that I walk on this grassless road
is because there will be myself left on the other side of the wall

The reason that I live
is only because I want to find what I lost

"THE ROAD" written
on September 31, 1941.

I have lost:
knowing not what and where,
my two hands grope along the pocket,
long, onward.

Stone after stone without end
the road runs along a stone wall.

The wall is fast with an iron gate
And trails a long shadow across the road.
The road opens from morning into night,
and from night into morning.

Groping along the stone wall I drop a tear,
but look up to find the sky abashingly blue.
The road is barren of a single weed;
the reason I cling to it is there is me remaining on the other side of the road.

And the only reason why I live
is I want to find what I lost.

Looking at the two translations side-by-side reveals several important features of translation.  The first is structure.  
        In graduate school days, one of my teachers, Marshall Pihl, taught me one day that “poetry is performance”.  By definition, he said, poetry is performed.  Thus we have poetry readings, which are oral performances, and the most natural performances of the poetry.  There is, however, another kind of performance, and that is the presentation of poetry on the printed page.  That too, is a performance, a visual performance.  The page is the stage and the presentation of the poetry on the page is the performance.  Thus, poetry is presented in verses, and sometimes in stanzas, or refrains, or choruses.  It is not prose.  It is poetry.
        Thus the presentation on the page should be observed and respected both in the original and in the translation.  The poem is performing on the page.  The performance is seen in the structure, in the verses and stanzas of the poem.  Look at the original of The Road:

길 / 윤동주  

잃어버렸습니다.
무얼 어디다 잃었는지 몰라
두 손이 주머니를 더듬어
길에 나아갑니다.

돌과 돌과 돌이 끝없이 연달아
길은 돌담을 끼고 갑니다.

담은 쇠문을 굳게 닫아
길 위에 긴 그림자를 드리우고

길은 아침에서 저녁으로
저녁에서 아침으로 통했습니다.

돌담을 더듬어 눈물짓다
쳐다보면 하늘은 부끄럽게 푸릅니다.

풀 한 포기 없는 이 길을 걷는 것은
담 저 쪽에 내가 남아 있는 까닭이고,

내가 사는 것은, 다만,
잃은 것을 찾는 까닭입니다.

The structure of this poem is clear; the number of lines per stanza are 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.  It is not 4, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2  as in the example on the left, above; nor is it  4, 2, 4, 5, 2 as in the example on the right, above.  The translation should respect that structure.  There is no reason for the translation to have a structure that is different from the poetic structure of the original.  Yet, many translations ignore this basic principle.
        Look at the two translations above.  The one on the left is somewhat close to the original, yet it is not always in line, but with a little effort, it could be.  The one on the right is not even close to what it should be.  It ignores the structure almost completely.

Accuracy of the translation is another issue.  In the case of both of the examples above, there are several examples of non-standard English.  In some cases, non-standard usages are acceptable in poetry – what we call poetic license, but in these cases, there is not a poetic advantage to the non-standard usage.  Above, it is simply Konglish, a product of translation without benefit of competent English editing or proofreading.
        Here is my version.  It may not be the best version, but it is standard English, and it respects the structure of the original.

The Road

I lost it.
I don’t know where or even what it was.
So, with my hands fumbling through my pockets,
I walk down the road.

Stones, and stones, and stones without end
The road coursed along the stone wall.

The iron gate in the wall was closed tight
As the wall cast its long shadow over the road.

The road ran from morning to evening
And from evening to morning.

Finding my way along the wall, a teardrop falls.
I look up to see the heavens are embarrassingly blue.

Not one weed has sprouted on the dirt road
Because I am left over there, beside the wall.

That I am living is only
Because I am going to find that which I lost.

Poetry speaks many things to many people.  This poem has meanings and interpretations at many levels, but one possible way to read the poem is as a condemnation of the Japanese takeover of Korea.  It was Korea that was lost, only the barren land, covered in stones, stones formed into a stone wall remained.  The situation was so hopeless, so barren, that not even a single weed had sprouted to give any relief.  But still, in the voice of the poem, I shall not die, because I will see the return of that which I lost, my nation, my Korea.

This next poem has some of the same natural elements that are typical in Yun Dongju’s poetry, and here, too, look at the structure and think of a political commentary, and a condemnation of the Japanese as one possible interpretation.

The Wind Blows

From where does the wind blow, and
Where is it blowing next?

The wind is blowing, but
There is no reason for my anxiety.

Is there no reason for my anxiety?

I have not loved even one woman.
I have no sadness for these times.

The wind blows often, but
I am standing on bedrock.

The rivers still flow, but
I am standing on the top of the hill.

I think the structure here offers a clue to what is meant to happen in this poem.  Notice that in the center of the poem, whereas the other stanzas are all two lines, there is one stanza that is only one line.

Although Yun Dongju’s poetry is modern and twentieth-century, the feel of the poetry in some cases carries echoes of earlier forms, such as the sijo.  The sijo was a three line poem with four segments in each line, the first two segments were separated from the third and fourth segment by a minor break, sometimes called a caesura.  Each segment has three or four beats or syllables.  The first two lines are similar and parallel, but the third is slightly different; the first segment is a little shorter, usually two beats, the second segment is longer, five to eight beats, and after the mid line caesura, the latter half of the line returns to the 3 or 4, 3 or 4 pattern.
        Perhaps we should look at a sijo to illustrate the structure:
                Song of Loyalty, by Jeong Mongju
Though I die, and die again; though I die one hundred times
Long after my bones have turned to dust, whether my soul exists of not
My heart, ever loyal to my Lord, will never fade away.

Yun’s poems are not sijo, but the methodology is similar – set up a pattern, present a variation, and return to the pattern.  Indeed, many of Yun’s poems use this technique.  Look at the Palace of my Love; the line structure is 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2.  The patterns is established – it’s two lines, but then there is a variation of one, then the return to two, then a three, and finally a return to two to complete the poem.  This is not a sijo, but it is the very spirit of the sijo.

The Palace of my Love

Suun! When was it that you came to my palace?
When was it that you entered the inner chambers of the palace?

In this our palace
Our young love was like those of antiquity.

Suun!, look down with your doe-like eyes of crystal
And I will raise my shaggy, lion-like mane

Our love was like a word spoken by a deaf mute.

Before you blow out the heat of this holy candle
Suun!, take a look from out the side door.

The darkness and wind are closed out
As if embracing this eternal love
They are long kept outside the backdoor and disappear.

And now, to you there is a vast lake in a rich forest
And to me there is a great mountain range.

The Korean kasa (early Joseon period) developed a few centuries after the sijo (late Goryeo), but was similar to the sijo in that it took the first two lines and repeated the couplets to narrate a story without ever finding the sijo’s third, and variant line.  Kasa could be long.  But they were always two lines at a time.

Look at this short couplet.  It is not long enough to be a kasa, but it is in the spirit of the couplet.

Our Sad Clan

White is the cloth we use to wrap around our black hair;
White is the color of the rubber shoes we wear.

White is the jacket and skirt that clothes our bodies;
White is the belt that ties it all together around our waists.

In a lighter vein, look at how the simple kasa form is modernized and adapted.

The Baby’s Daybreak

At our house
We don’t have any chickens.
Only
The baby crying out for milk
Tells that it is daybreak.

At our house
We don’t have a clock.
Only
The baby chiming out for milk
Tells that it is daybreak.

This next poem is another variation on the same structure, the underlying kasa.

The Cricket and Me

The Cricket and me
Are talking in the grass.

Chir chir
Chir chir

You must not tell anyone
We promised that only we would know.

Chir chir
Chir chir

The cricket and me
We talk in the night of the bright moon.

In this final selection, notice that its core structure is again the couplet.  This time the variations are not only a three line stanza and a one line stanza, but lines of prose.

Loving Memory

On a morning when spring came, at a small train station in Seoul
I waited for a train like waiting for hope or love.

With long crisp shadows stretching across the platform
I lit up a cigarette.

My shadow lifts the shadow of the floating smoke.
A flock of pigeons, without a sense of shame,
Fly into the glaring sunlight.

The train, without any news,
Carries me far away.

Spring now gone, in a quiet rented room on the outskirts of Tokyo, longing as for love or hope, I am left at an old crossroads.

Today, too, without any meaning several trains have come and gone.

Today, too, as if waiting for someone at the station, I hold my vigil on the nearby hill.

-- oh, youth has long left me behind.

The beauty of Yun Dongju’s poetry is multi-faceted.  It is modern poetry with all its emotions, from simple to complex.  But at its foundation, there is the beauty of the traditional poetry of sijo and kasa.  
        This paper has argued that an important aspect of understanding Yun Dongju’s poetry is found in analyzing the structure of each poem.  Therein, we have not only seen that Yung Dongju employed a wide variety of forms, yet, within some of them, there is the faint echo, and sometimes a loud drumbeat, of premodern Korean forms – the sijo and the kasa.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

마크 피터슨 (Mark Peterson) 약력

하버드 대학교 동아시아 연구 MA. PhD, 코리안 어메리칸 풀브라이트 교육위원회장, 이화여대 강사, BYU 한국선교회장, David M. Kennedy Center 국제학부 회장, 아시아연구협회 회원, 왕립아시아협회 한국지부 부회장, 국제한국어연구소 부회장 역임, 논문발표(하버드) <중기조선왕조의 가족제도와 혈통의 유교적 변화>. 저서 <한국의 양자결연과 상속제> <유교사회의 창출> <코리안우먼> <미국정부와 광주사태> <세종실록> <유생 이전의 황진이 연구> 외 한국의 고전문학과 역사에 관한 저서 다수. <한국 ><남한> <북한> <노무현> <김대중> 등 다수의 백과사전 등재기록. 그 외 한국역사와 사회전반에 관한 학회논문, 기사, 시청각재료, 강연. 현재 버리감영 대학교(BYU) 한국학 연구소 교수 및 각종 대학연합 한국 및 동아시아연구소에서 활동 중
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

일부 윤동주 詩에 나타난 구조상의 특징

[제13회 한,미,중,일 윤동주국제문학심포지엄]

번역 / 이월란 (2009년 7월)

윤동주 시인은 시인으로서는 고난의 시기인 일제강점기를 살다간 한국의 대표시인 중의 한 사람이다. 식민 통치 아래서의 절망과 체념이 그의 시 속에 그대로 표현될 수밖에 없었을 것이다. 윤동주의 시들은 새로운 구조의 시도와 더불어 당시로서는 문학인들이나 독자들에게는 파격적이었을 새로운 구조를 시도한 흔적이 보이며 참신한 글을 당시 문학계에 선보인 시의 선각자였을 것이다.
윤동주의 시는 400년의 역사를 이어온 한글이 새로운 형식으로 다시 태어나는데 공헌한 동시대의 김소월이나 이상의 시 업적과 흡사하지만 1920~30년대 억압당한 백성들의 민심이 그대로 나타나 있기도 하다. 어쩌면 그것은 전통적인 작문법을 파괴하는 한글의 범주 안에서는 이례적인 형식이기도 하겠다.  
1920~30년대인 당시로서는 벌써 20여년의 세월동안 글을 통한 작품활동은 은폐된 작업이었고 일본어의 가타카나(片假名)와 히라가나(平假名)가 일상 공용어로 통용되고 있었지만 은밀한 모반의 행위는 여전히 맥을 잇고 있었다. 한국의 1920~30년대를 살아온 문학인들은 한글로 글을 쓴다는 그 자체만으로도 바로 반역의 행위였던 것이다. 따라서 미미한 역모의 행위가 글 속에 숨어 있었고 작가와 독자가 똑같이 행간의 의미를 짐작하고 있었다. 이 세명의 시인 모두 투옥되었으며 같은 30대에 일본인들의 손에 절명했다.
그들은 젊었지만 어떻게 글을 쓰는지 알고 있었다. 아마도 그것은 그 시대의 고뇌였고 압제당한 백성들의 목소리였으므로 시 속에서 찾을 수밖에 없었던 그들의 “한(恨)”이었을 것이다. 그리고 그들 각자에게는 단지 독자들로부터 공명되길 원하는 한글의 참신한 시도에 그치는 것이 아니라 구시대의 패턴을 깨고 새로운 패턴을 조성하는 의식의 일탈이기도 했다.
옛 시가(詩歌) 특히 시조나 가사 심지어 판소리의 운율에서도 이런 특징들은 쉽게 찾아볼 수 있다.--20세기 초의 근대시라고 불리고 있다.  
이점이 내가 본 윤동주 시들의 한 양상이며 이번 발표에서 몇 가지의 예증으로 조명해 보려 한다. 또한 이번 기회에 한국시를 영시(혹은 다른 타국어)로 번역하는 문제에 대해서도 짚어보려 한다. 나는 한국의 시를 번역하는 번역가들에게 원작 속의 시어나 단어의 의미보다 먼저 시 자체를 훼손시키지 않아야 한다는 것을 강조하고 싶다. 번역시 또한 원작의 구조를 충분히 살려 외국어 속에서도 시가 나와야 하는 것이다. 영시로 번역된 글 속에서도 원작인 한글로 씌어진 시의 구조와 감응이 충분히 반영되어야 한다는 것이다. 왜냐하면 한국의 전통시이며 시의 구조는 전통시의 핵심이기 때문이다. 그것이 바로 시조가 시조가 되게 하며 가사(歌辭)가 가사가 되게 하는 것이다. 또한 전통시의 기본 구조는 정형의 틀을 벗어나 자유시로 발전된 20세기 현대시의 토대가 되었음이다.
또한 명백한 비정형시 속에서도 여전히 형식은 나타나고 있다. 그것은 형식을 깨뜨리는 비정형의 의미심장한 형식이기도 하다. 비정형 또는 어떤 형식에 저항하는 시의 구조는 그 자체로서 또다른 초유의 형식이 되는 것이다. 예문을 보여주기로 하겠다. 또한 특별한 시인에 대한 비평의 목적이 아닌 한국시를 영시로 번역할 때 경계해야 할 사안을 중심으로, 몇 편의 시평을 곁들이려 한다. 즉 다시말해서 번역시 또한 영시여야 한다는 것이다. 많은 번역시들이 흔히 말하는 콩글리시나 영문법을 무시함으로써 한국어로 씌여진 원작을 훼손시키거나 아예 새로운 언어를 창출하기도 하여 차라리 번역하지 않는 것이 좋아보일 때도 있는 것이다.

몇 가지 예를 보기로 하자. 윤동주의 “길”이란 시를 놓고 두개의 번역시를 살펴보기로 하자.
<번역시 1> THE ROAD  /  Yun Dongju      

Lost
since I do not know where and what I lost
my two hands stretch deeply forward  
fumbling in my pocket

Rocks and rocks and rocks  
ceaselessly follow one after another  
making the road curve along the stone walls  

The wall, whose iron door is firmly locked,  
casts a long shadow on the road.  

The road links morning to evening,
evening to morning  

Looking up at the sky in tears
after fumbling with the stone wall  
the blueness shames me  

The reason that I walk on this grassless road
is because there will be myself left on the other side of the wall  

The reason that I live
is only because I want to find what I lost  

"THE ROAD" written
on September 31, 1941.

<번역시 2> THE ROAD  /  Yun Dongju

I have lost:
knowing not what and where,
my two hands grope along the pocket,
long, onward.

Stone after stone without end
the road runs along a stone wall.

The wall is fast with an iron gate
And trails a long shadow across the road.
The road opens from morning into night,
and from night into morning.

Groping along the stone wall I drop a tear,
but look up to find the sky abashingly blue.
The road is barren of a single weed;
the reason I cling to it is there is me
remaining on the other side of the road.

And the only reason why I live
is I want to find what I lost.      

두 개의 번역시를 병행시켜 살펴보면 몇 가지 특징을 발견할 수 있다. 첫 째는 시의 형식이다. 대학원 시절에 마셜 필이란 교수는 내게 이런 가르침을 주었었다. “시는 퍼포먼스다” 즉 다시 말해서 시는 일종의 공연이라는 것이다. 따라서 우리는 시의 가장 보편적인 퍼포먼스인 구두로 읽을 수 있는 시집을 가지고 있다. 하지만 또다른 종류의 퍼포먼스로서 백지 위에 인쇄된 시의 형태가 있다. 이것 또한 퍼포먼스이다. 시각에 호소하는 퍼포먼스인 것이다. 페이지는 바로 무대이며 책장 위에 쓰여진 시는 바로 퍼포먼스이다. 따라서 시는 각 행으로 이루어진 시형(詩形)으로써 표현되며 때론 연(聯)으로, 혹은 반복구로, 혹은 후렴구로 표현되기도 한다. 산문이 아니다. 시다.
따라서 백지 위의 퍼포먼스에서 원작이나 번역작 모두 그 형식이 보존되고 존중되어야만 한다. 시는 백지라는 무대 위에서의 공연이기 때문이다. 그 공연은 시의 행과 연이라는 구조 속에서 보여진다. <길>이란 윤동주의 원작을 보자.

길 / 윤동주

잃어 버렸습니다.
무얼 어디다 잃었는지 몰라
두 손이 주머니를 더듬어
길에 나아갑니다.

돌과 돌과 돌이 끝없이 연달아
길은 돌담을 끼고 갑니다.

담은 쇠문을 굳게 닫아
길 위에 긴 그림자를 드리우고

길은 아침에서 저녁으로
저녁에서 아침으로 통했습니다.

돌담을 더듬어 눈물 짓다
쳐다보면 하늘은 부끄럽게 푸릅니다.

풀 한 포기 없는 이 길을 걷는 것은
담 저쪽에 내가 남아 있는 까닭이고,

내가 사는 것은, 다만,
잃은 것을 찾는 까닭입니다.

이 시의 구조는 명확하다. 각 연의 행수는 4,2,2,2,2,2,2이다. <번역시 1>처럼 4,3,2,2,3,2,2 도 아니며 <번역시 2>처럼 4,2,4,5,2도 아니다. 번역시 또한 원작의 행과 연을 지켜야 한다. 번역시가 원작의 시형과 다른 형식을 가질 수 있다는 이유는 그 어디에도 있을 수 없다. 아직도 많은 번역시들은 이런 기본적인 원칙을 무시하고 있다. 위에 제시한 두 번역시를 보라. <번역시 1>은 어느정도 원작에 가깝지만 여전히 행을 벗어난 곳이 있으며 이러한 반칙은 작은 배려로도 수정이 가능한 것이다. <번역시 2>의 형식은 원작과는 아주 거리가 멀다. 이런 형식에 대한 묵살법은 거의 간과되고 있는 실정이다.
번역의 정확도는 또다른 쟁점이다. 위의 두 번역시를 보면 영문법을 무시한 예가 몇 군데 보인다. 가끔씩 비문(非文)이나 오문(誤文)들이 시작(試作)의 특허권처럼 허용되는 경우가 있지만 이런 경우는 전혀 해당이 되지 않는다. 위에 제시된 번역시들은 솔직히 콩글리시 수준이며 영문법에 대한 편집이나 교정의 검증도 없이 번역된 작품들이다. 여기 나의 번역시를 싣는다. 최고의 번역시라고 장담할 수는 없지만 그래도 영문법을 준수하고 원작의 형식을 그대로 살렸다.

The Road / Translated by Mark Peterson

I lost it.
I don't know where or even what it was.
So, with my hands fumbling through my pockets,
I walk down the road.

Stones, and stones, and stones without end
The road coursed along the stone wall.

The iron gate in the wall was closed tight
As the wall cast its long shadow over the road.

The road ran from morning to evening
And from evening to morning.

Finding my way along the wall, a teardrop falls.
I look up to see the heavens are embarrassingly blue.

Not one weed has sprouted on the dirt road
Because I am left over there, beside the wall.

That I am living is only
Because I am going to find that which I lost.  

시는 많은 사람들에게 많은 것을 얘기한다. 이 시 또한 각기 다른 높이와 수준에서 다양한 의미와 해석을 가지고 있지만 한 가지 가능한 방법으로 해석해 볼 때 한국을 탈취한 일본의 지배권에 대한 일종의 정죄와 비난이다. 잃은 것은 돌과 돌이 이어져 만들어진 돌담과 돌멩이로 덮여버린 불모의 땅, 조국인 것이다. 희망 한 줄기 없는 정국, 그래서 그 어떤 위안을 기대할 풀 한포기조차 자라지 못하는 불모지인 것이다. 하지만 아직도 시의 목소리는 우리에게 말하고 있다. 나는 죽지 않을 것이라고, 잃은 것을 찾기 위해, 나의 조국, 나의 한국을.

다음 시 또한 전형적인 윤동주의 시가 가진 요소를 똑같이 보여주고 있다. 여기서 또한 시의 형식과 더불어 정치적인 비평 그리고 한 가지 가능한 해석으로서 일본에 대한 비난을 생각해 보자.

바람이 불어 / 윤동주

바람이 어디로부터 불어와
어디로 불려가는 것일까,

바람이 부는데
내 괴로움에는 이유(理由)가 없다.

내 괴로움에는 이유(理由)가 없을까,

단 한 여자(女子)를 사랑한 일도 없다.
시대(時代)를 슬퍼한 일도 없다.

바람이 자꾸 부는데
내 발이 반석 위에 섰다.

강물이 자꾸 흐르는데
내 발이 언덕 위에 섰다.

나는 이 시에 나타난  형식이 어떤 실마리를 제공해 주고 있다고 본다. 시의 중간 부분을 주목해 보라. 다른 연들이 모두 두 2행인데 반해 단 1행으로 한 연이 마무리되고 있다. 윤동주의 시가 20세기 초의 현대시라 할지라도 전시대의 시조와 같은 맛을 내고 있다. 시조는 각 행이 4보격으로 이루어진 3행의 시였다. 첫 두 음절은 세 번째와 네 번째 음절로부터 행중 휴지라 일컬어지기도 하는 작은 분기점을 가지며 각 음절은 세 개 혹은 네 개의 율격 혹은 실러블을 가진다. 1, 2행은 유사하며 나란히 병렬되어 있지만 3행은 약간 다르다; 첫 음절은 약간 짧고 통상 두 음의 운율로 이루어진다. 두 번째 음절은 조금 길며 5~8음의 운율을 가지며 다음 중간 행에서 휴지기를 가진다. 후반의 반행은 다시 3 혹은 4, 3 혹은 4의 패턴으로 다시 되돌아온다. 다음 시조를 예문으로 살펴보는 것이 좋겠다.

단심가 / 정몽주

이 몸이 죽고 죽어 일백번 고쳐 죽어
백골이 진토 되어 넋이라도 있고 없고
임 향한 일편 단심이야 가실 줄이 있으랴

윤동주의 시는 물론 시조가 아니지만 시조와 계통상으로 아주 흡사한 구조를 보여주고 있으며 그의 많은 시들이 이와 유사한 기법을 사용하고 있다. <사랑의 전당>이란 시를 보자. 행의 구조가 2,2,2,1,2,3,2 이다. 시의 형식은 2행을 기본으로 하되 한 번의 변형이 있으며 다시 2행으로 돌아왔다가 다시 3행, 그리고 결국 다시 2행으로 돌아옴으로써 끝을 맺고 있다. 이 시는 시조가 아니지만 시조의 형식을 채간 듯 하다.  

사랑의 전당 / 윤동주

순아 너는 내 전(殿)에 언제 들어왔든 것이냐?
내사 언제 네 전에 들어갔든 것이냐?

우리들의 전당은
고풍(古風)한 풍습이 어린 사랑의 전당

순아 암사슴처럼 수정눈을 나려감어라.
난 사자처럼 엉크린 머리를 고루련다.
우리들의 사랑은 한낱 벙어리였다.

성스런 촛대에 열(熱)한 불이 꺼지기 전
순아 너는 앞문으로 내달려라.

어둠과 바람이 우리 창에 부닥치기 전
나는 영원한 사랑을 안은 채
뒷문으로 멀리 사라지련다.

이제 네게는 삼림 속의 아늑한 호수가 있고
내게는 험준한 산맥이 있다.

한국의 가사(조선 초기)는 시조(고려 말기)가 나타난 후 몇 세기 동안 발전되어 왔지만 첫 2행이 시조와 유사하며 시조의 종장에서는 결코 볼 수 없었던, 줄거리를 서술하는 대구(對句)의 반복구와 변격의 행으로 이루어진다. 가사는 길어질 수 있지만 항상 2행이 병치되어 있다.

짧은 2행 연구(連句)로 이루어진 이 시를 보자. 가사의 형식을 갖추기에 충분히 길지 않지만 대구(對句)의 기법을 보여주고 있다.

슬픈 족속 / 윤동주

흰 수건이 검은 머리를 두르고
흰 고무신이 거친 발에 걸리우다

흰 저고리 치마가 슬픈 몸집을 가리고
흰 띠가 가는 허리를 질끈 동이다.

점등부의 기질로 보면 얼마나 현대화되고 개조된, 단순한 가사인지 보라.

애기의 새벽 / 윤동주

우리 집에는
닭도 없단다.
다만
애기가 젖달라 울어서
새벽이 된다.

우리 집에는
시계도 없단다.
다만
애기가 젖달라 보채어
새벽이 된다.

다음의 시 또한 가사의 형식이 깔려있는 또다른 변주기법을 보여준다.

귀뜨라미와 나와 / 윤동주

귀뜨라미와 나와
잔디밭에서 이야기했다.

귀뜰귀뜰
귀뜰귀뜰

아무게도 아르켜 주지말고
우리둘만 알자고 약속했다.

귀뜰귀뜰
귀뜰귀뜰

귀뜨라미와 나와
달밝은 밤에 이야기했다.

마지막으로 발췌한 시는 대구(對句) 기법의 정수를 보여주는 예문으로 주목할만 하다. 이번에 보여지는 변형구조는 단지 3행이나 1행의 연이 아니라 산문체이다.

사랑스런 추억 / 윤동주

봄이 오던 아침, 서울 어느 조그만 정거장에서
희망과 사랑처럼 기차를 기다려
나는 플랫폼으로 간신한 그림자를 떨어트리고
담배를 피웠다

내 그림자는 담배 연기 그림자를 날리고
비둘기 한 떼가 부끄러울 것도 없이
나래속을 속 속 햇빛에 비춰 날았다

기차는 아무 새로운 소식도 없이
나를 멀리 실어다 주어

봄은 다 가고...... 동경 교외 어느 조용한
하숙방에서 옛 거리에 남은 나를 희망과
사랑처럼 그리워한다

오늘도 기차는 몇 번이나 무의미하게 지나가고,

오늘도 나는 누구를 기다려 정거장 차가운 언덕에서
서성거릴 게다

...... 아아 젊음은 오래 거기 남아 있거라

윤동주 시의 아름다움은 다양하고도 혼입적인 양상에 있다. 단순함으로부터 복합적인 혼화과정을 거치는데까지 모든 정서가 표출된 현대시이다. 그러나 그 시들의 모태는 전통적인 시조와 가사의 아름다움에 있다고 하겠다. 이번 발표에서는 각 시의 형식과 구조를 분석해 봄으로써 윤동주 시를 이해하는데 도움이 되는 특징들을 중심으로 조명해 보았다. 그 점에서 우리는 윤동주의 시가 구속받지 않은, 다양한 형식의 변화 뿐 아니라 시조와 가사의 형식으로부터 영향을 받은 한국의 초기현대시가 가지는 희미한 반향과 더불어 때론 고조된 울림의 맥을 짚어볼 수 있다.

?

List of Articles
번호 분류 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
139 영문 수필 The Last Note 이월란 2010.02.12 465
138 영문 수필 Children’s Online Protection Law 이월란 2010.08.08 345
137 영문 수필 Revenge 이월란 2010.02.28 497
136 영문 수필 My Unconditional Best Friend, Toby 이월란 2010.03.13 3178
» 영문 수필 논문번역 (윤동주국제문학심포지엄) 이월란 2010.06.07 796
134 영문 수필 Anger Management 이월란 2010.06.12 421
133 영문 수필 Shitty First Drafts 이월란 2011.01.30 14714
132 영문 수필 "Do You Speak American?" 이월란 2010.06.18 678
131 영문 수필 Words That Shook the World 이월란 2010.06.28 360
130 영문 수필 Sign Language 이월란 2010.07.09 344
129 영문 수필 Twelve Angry Men 이월란 2010.07.19 360
128 영문 수필 Disabilities in History 이월란 2012.05.19 173
127 영문 수필 The Allegory of the Matrix 이월란 2012.05.19 152
126 영문 수필 Life in Early Jamestown 이월란 2010.10.29 275
125 영문 수필 Were They Radicals or Conservatives? 이월란 2010.09.20 495
124 영문 수필 Security or Freedom 이월란 2010.09.20 380
123 영문 수필 The Black History 이월란 2010.10.29 290
122 영문 수필 Defense and Condemnation of U.S. Industrial Capitalism 이월란 2010.10.29 400
121 영문 수필 The Blame Game, Fort Sumter 이월란 2010.10.29 373
120 영문 수필 The New Deal 이월란 2010.11.24 836
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
/ 7