{수필} 밤의 꽃 야래향

2007.01.31 14:00

박봉진 조회 수:599 추천:27

7c2984fe8c7aebc583a602a3c7b72818.jpg

월 하순, 여름은 옅어져 가고 있는데 밀려온 어둠속의 밀도는 황홀했다. 바닷가 방조제에 앉아 있던 나를 밀물에 실어 둥둥 떠올렸다고나 할까. 그 경지로 이끈 근원이 궁금했다. 열린 창문으로 차 들어오고 있으니 앞뜰에 나가보 알 일이다. 나는 왜 거기에 있는 소철과 장미와 관상수 몇 그루만 생각하고 있었는지 모르겠다. 업둥이 자식일수록 귀한 자식이어야 하는데, 말은 늘 그리했으면서도 실제는 그러지 못하다니-.

해전, 한 문우로부터 채 한 뼘도 안 되는 어린 묘목 두 그루를 얻었다. 꽃 향 그윽한 야래향(Night Blooming Jasmine)이라고 했다. 교우하는 우리의 마음도 늘 그렇기를 바라며 좀 정성을 드렸다. 화분에서 노지로 옮겼음은 물론이거니와 반그늘에서 햇볕 바른 곳으로 이주도 했다. 뿌리가 튼실해져 원만한 곳이면 적응해서 살아갈 것 같아보였다. 지난 정초, 한 그루를 앞뜰 창가 그러니까 드라이브웨이 너머에 옮겨 심었었다.

세가 왕성하여 가지의 방향을 가리지 않고 마구 도장했다. 막되게 자라는 아이처럼 상록 속성수라서 그럴까. 불과 이년, 내 가슴께쯤 커버린 나무는 둥치도 가지도 잎사귀도 온통 초록 일색이다. 나무나 꽃 모양새로 친다면 수형이니 화사하다느니 하는 말을 올릴 처지는 못 된다. 길쭉한 잎사귀 사이사이에 붙어있는 가느다란 연두색 미니 꽃. 낮엔 작은 붓끝 모양을 오므리고 밤엔 앙증맞은 트럼펫 같은 꽃잎을 펴서 그윽한 향을 불어낸다.

가 불렀었나, 그 ‘예라이썅’ 노래는. ‘야래향’이 달맞이꽃 이미지와 뒤섞이면 어쩌지. 무슨 짱이거나 고급 차를 타고 화려한 몸치장이어야 행세하는 세상. 밤에는 나비도 벌도 안 오는데 야래향은 비단옷 입고 밤길 걸으려는 게 아니다. 누가 눈여겨봐주지도, 깊은 속을 알아주려고도 안는다. 진품은 어둠에 묻혀 외면당하기 일쑨가 보다. 꽃을 꽃으로 알아주지 않는 사람들을 탓해 무얼 하랴. 진향을 알고 가까워진 사람에게만 야래향의 향기는 진동해 질 것이니.

* The flower of Nighttime, 'Night Blooming Jasmine'

For the days of late August, hot summer weather was quite diminishing while the darkness brought me rather an amazement.

It looked like a certain wonder boosted me up in the air with the rising tide from that bank I was sitting on.

What made me so?

I could find it by the mere act of me going out there.

It was a question of mine why I was thinking only about those small pine trees, roses and few shrubs.

People say younger child is getting more attention but it did not apply to me although I told so too.

A couple of years ago, I got two saplings smaller than a hand-span from my literary friend.

He told me that it was called as Night Blooming Jasmine with full of fragrance.

With a caring mind, I planted and grew it.

Later, it was moved from the flowerpot to the ground and moved again from a half-shadowed place to a sunny place.

It looked like it will well be adapted to any ground since the roots were strong.

Last new year, I transplanted one of it’s branch to the near front window side, then it beyond the drive way again.

It grew wild for any direction like well growing children.

For the couple of years, it grew up to the height of my breath and now it brags all about his stems and branches and leaves showing dark green.

The other words, this tree will less likely be called as a tree that people say it is beautiful or moderate,

It reduces its shape like an end of a tiny brush and generates gentle fragrance with its open leaf at night like trumpet blowing.

Who sang the old song, "Yeraissang, -Oh, no-"

What if this song mingles with this flower?

I wonder about this world are seeking fancy dressing and luxury cars but this flower does not want to walk at night wearing silk clothes since no
bees or butterflies are coming at night.

No one wants see it with close eyes or pay attention on her inner heart.

Maybe, the genuine brand will be covered with darkness at all times.

What would be good for blaming on those who do not recognize the flower as flower.

Night Blooming Jasmine will generate its fragrance for those who know its true fragrance and who are near to them.

회원:
새 글:
등록일:

오늘:
어제:
전체: