He is a Black Guy

2016.10.15 00:44

성민희 조회 수:44

He is a Black Guy

싸움 소리가 난다. 도서관 열람실 내가 앉은 바로 앞자리다. 고개를 들고 쳐다보니 틴에이저를 갓 넘긴 듯한 히스패닉 아가씨와 청바지 차림의 흑인 청년이 삿대질을 하며 얼굴을 붉힌다. 청년이 고함을 지르면 아가씨는 고개를 빳빳이 들고 더 큰 소리로 대든다. 핸드폰 충전 때문이다. 여자가 핸드폰 충전기를 콘센트에 꽂아두었는데 컴퓨터를 쓰는데 걸리적거린다고 남자가 빼어버린 모양이다.

사람들이 주위로 모여들고 도서관 실내 공기가 온통 헝클어졌다. 관장이 사무실에서 나와 두 사람을 말린다. 흑인 청년이 못 이기는 척 자리를 뜨려고 하는데 아가씨는 아직도 분이 풀리지 않는지 따라 가며 욕을 한다. 조그만 여자가 악다구니를 하며 따라 붙으니 남자도 화가 나는 모양이다. 눈을 거들뜨며 허공에다 대고 주먹질을 하는 모습이 여자를 때릴 기세다. 조금 가라앉으려나 싶었던 분위기가 다시 험악해졌다. 관장은 곁에 있는 직원을 보고 빨리 경찰을 부르라고 한다. 여직원이 데스크로 쫒아가서 전화기를 집어 드는데 저쪽 구석에서 도서관 안이 쩡쩡 울리도록 큰 소리를 지르며 흑인 할아버지가 뛰어온다. 손으로 자기 가슴을 움켜쥐며 헉헉 거리는 모습이 앞으로 넘어질 듯 위태롭다.

“경찰 부르지 마시오. 경찰이 오면 저 청년은 총에 맞아 죽습니다. 그는 흑인입니다.”

있는 힘을 다하는 할아버지의 울부짖음에 도서관이 통째로 얼어버렸다. 며칠 전에도 사우스 캐롤라이나의 작은 도시에서 백인 경관이 흑인 남성에게 총을 쏘아 숨지게 한 사건이 있었기에 ‘He is a Black Guy!’ 하는 할아버지의 목소리는 너무 절절했다. 그는 청년의 할아버지도, 지인도 아니었다. 주위에서 뭉그적거리던 사람들이 하나 둘 떠나가고 입을 강다물고 섰던 흑인 청년도, 히스패닉 아가씨도 슬그머니 자리를 떴다.

사우스캐롤라이나 주의 작은 도시에서 일어난 사건처럼 백인 경찰이 비무장 흑인 남성을 공무 중이라는 이유로 총격을 가한 사건이 올해 들어 벌써 몇 번째인지 모른다.

‘내 자식이 그럴 리가...’ 흑인 어머니와 백인 어머니의 얼굴이 나란히 신문에 실린 것을 보았다. 두 사람 모두 똑 같이 젖은 눈동자에 입술을 꽉 다물고 울먹였다. 백인은 총을 쏜 경관 마이클 슬레이저의 어머니고 흑인은 그 총에 사망한 윌터 스콧의 어머니다. 신문은 며칠 동안 백인 경찰에 대한 분노로 들썩거리는 흑인 민권단체의 데모로 지면을 채우더니 그 날은 두 어머니의 얼굴을 커다랗게 실었다.

“사실이 아니라는 것을 나는 압니다. 왜냐하면 내 아들이 강도짓을 할 리가 없기 때문입니다. 내 아들은 천사입니다.”

“내 아들은 착하고 사랑받은 경찰이었습니다. 경찰직과 앞으로의 인생을 위태롭게 하는 일을 했다고는 상상조차 할 수 없습니다.”

두 어머니는 한결같이 자식이 한 행동을 부정했다. 두 어머니의 눈물이 인종편견으로 인한 갈등으로 들끓던 사건을 다른 각도로 보게 만들었다. 흑인도 백인도 모두 똑같은 누군가의 사랑스런 아들이었다.

흑인 민권 운동에 영향을 준 소녀 클로뎃 콜빈은, 흑인 교회의 목사에게 ‘하나님이 세상에 저주받은 인종을 만드셨다면, 나는 그런 하나님을 섬기고 싶지 않아요.’ 라고 했다고 한다. 피부에 대한 그들의 고뇌와 슬픔을 알 것 같다. 마틴 루터킹의 ‘I Have a Dream.’이란 절규가 앞으로도 얼마나 더 견뎌야 할까.

어깨를 축 늘어뜨린 채 자기 자리로 돌아가는 할아버지의 뒷모습이 보인다. 그가 말한 ‘He is a Black Guy.’는 ‘I am a Black Guy.’의 다른 말로서 평생 그를 가두는 족쇄가 아니었을까.

<사람이 고향이다 2016> <경남문학 2016>

He is a Black Guy

I hear a fight. I am sitting in the library's reading room. I look up and see a young Latina woman and a black man gesturing wildly at each other, their faces turning red with exertion.  I listen closely: the black man is yelling loudly, but the woman is unmoved and she shouts louder.  Her cell phone was charging at a nearby outlet and he decided to remove it because the power cord was obstructing his laptop use.  

Patrons gather around the exchange, and the air feels heavy with the pair's anger and tension.  The head librarian comes out of his office and tries to placate the two.  It seems to work.  The man turns away, seemingly deflated by the reasonable words, but the woman remains enraged.  Though she is much smaller than he, she is undeterred by the match up and curses him.  He looks down at her, his face growing both incredulous and angry.  Electricity charges through the air as it seems he will strike her.  The head librarian motions to his co-worker, directing her to call the police.  The second librarian rushes to her desk and picks up her phone, a finger about to press the numbers of 9-1-1. 

A loud shout erupts from the far corner of the library.  An old man, also black, comes rushing towards the pair.  His hand is clasped against his chest and his breathing is labored.  He looks like he will collapse from the exertion.

"Please, don't call the police. If the police are called, they will kill this man.  He is a black man."  His words freeze the room.  I recall a few days ago, in a small town of South Carolina, a white policeman shot a black man dead, seemingly unjustified and because of the color of his skin.  The old man's warning - "he is a black man" - were uttered with bleak despair.  The younger man is neither his grandson or relative, but it was no matter.  One by one, the crowd disperses.  Everyone turns back to their own lives, including the young black man and the Latina woman.  

Like that incident in South Carolina, incidents of white policeman unjustifiably shooting black men dead are so often featured in the news.  I have lost count.

"I cannot believe my son would do that."  I recall another newspaper article featuring two pictures of crying mothers, one white and one black.  The white mother's son, Michael, stood accused of wrongfully shooting the black mother's son, Walter.  For several days prior, the newspaper featured multiple articles filled with accusations against both Michael and Walter, and the black community was up in arms about the purported wrongful death.  But that day's article belonged to the mothers.  

Walter's mother: "I cannot believe what is being said about my son.  He was no robber.  He was an angel."  And Michael's mother: "My son is a kind person.  He loves being a police officer because he wants to help people.  I cannot fathom that he would act in a way to jeopardize his career."  The two mothers tearfully deny the accusations.  And their tears change the tenor of the story.  Whether the men were black or white, it made no difference; they were both someone's sons.

At the age of 15, Claudette Colvin, gave affection to the civil rights movement in America, said to a pastor, "If God made race to curse man, then I do not want to believe in such a god."    It is painful to consider the cost one must bear because of their skin color.  How long must the black community feel the continued relevance of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech of "I have a dream"? 

I see the old man in the library return to his seat.  He sits down heavily.  His shout of "he is a black man" also meant, "I am a black man."  He lived out those words like a shackle his whole life. 

회원:
새 글:
등록일:

오늘:
어제:
전체: