스코필드 박사와 에델바이스(Edelweiss) 의 추억

2010.02.22 01:55

김수영 조회 수:1313 추천:281

13259324683_ef144ec872.jpg
13971845011_16e06ec9f2_o.jpg
 스코필드 박사와 에델바이스의 추억 

에델바이스 꽃은 알프스 산맥 산정에서 자라는 고산 식물이기 때문에 나는 에델바이스 꽃에 대해 전혀 아는 바가 없었을 때였다. 우리나라 독립유공자 중 유일한 외국인인 스코필드 박사님께서 나에게 에델바이스 꽃 액자를 선물로 주셨다.  말린 꽃이었지만 생화처럼 싱싱하게 보이고 아주 예뻐 감탄사를 연발했다. 스코필드 박사님이 스위스에 여행 갔다가 오시면서 기념 선물로 사 주셨다. 나에겐 얼마나 귀하고 값진 선물인지 미국에 올 때도 갖고 와 잘 간직하고 있었다. 응접실 벽에 걸어두고 스코필드 박사님이 그리워질 때면 에델바이스 꽃 벽걸이를 쳐다보며 그를 기렸다. 

내가 서울대학교 사범대학을 다닐 때 서울대학교 문리과대학과 의과대학은 길 하나를 사이에 두고 서로 마주 보고 있었다. 우리 집에서 가까운 곳에 있던 문리과대학 도서관을 가서 공부하다가 모르는 것이 있으면 교수회관에 계신 영어과 교환교수님을 찾아뵙고 질문을 하곤 했다, 이 교수회관은 의과대학 구내 모퉁이에 자리 잡고 있었다. 하루는 이곳에서 교환교수님을 찾아뵙고 나오다가 스코필드 박사님과 마주치게 되어 서로 인사를 나누었다. 서울대 수의과대학에서 병리학과 세균학을 강의하고 계신다고 하셨다. 

캐나다 겔프 수의과 대학 다니던 21세 때 영양실조로 소아마비를 앓게 되었다. 왼쪽 팔과 오른쪽 다리를 쓸 수가 없었다. 지팡이를 짚고 다니셔서 도움이 필요한 분이시겠다고 생각이 들어 자주 찾아뵙게 되었다. 내가 영어과를 다닌다고 했더니 통역을 좀 해달라고 하셔서 보육원에 가실 때나 통역이 필요한 곳은 마다하지 않고 박사님을 모시고 다니며 통역으로 도와 드렸다. 이것이 인연이 되어서 참 가까운 사이가 되었다. 급기야 동생과 나에게 삼촌(Uncle)이 되시겠다며 나와 동생에게 영어 이름을 지어 주셨다. 나에겐 Gwen이란 영어 이름을 지어 주셨고 동생에겐 Dora란 영어 이름을 지어 주셨다. 그 이름이 너무 귀해 나의 이메일 주소로 사용하고 있다. 

고아들과 장학생들을 돕기위해 장학기금 조달을 위해 세계 각국에 있는 지인들에게 도움의 손길을 요청하는 편지들을 밤늦게까지 쓰시곤 했다. 나는 옆에서 편지 쓰시는 일을 도와 드리면서 스코필드 박사님을 지켜 보면서 감탄한 일이 한두 번이 아니었다. 몸이 불편하셨기 때문에 편지 쓰시는 일도 큰 고역이셨다. 그는 독실한 기독교인이었는데 그분 교훈 가운데 잊히지 않는 말씀은 성경 요한복음 12:24 절 말씀이었다.

“내가 진실로 진실로 너희에게 이르노니 한 알의 밀이 땅에 떨어져 죽지 아니하면 한 알 그대로 있고 죽으면 많은 열매를 맺느니라.” 이 말씀을 하시면서 박사님 자신은 한국을 위해 한 알의 썩은 밀알이 되고 싶어 한국에 1916년 선교사로 와서 세브란스 의대와 서울대 수의대에서 병리학과 세균학을 가르치셨다고 했다.. 필자가 만날 당시는 서울대학교 수의과 대학에서 강의를 맡고 계셨다. 하나님의 참사랑이 무엇인지 솔선수범하여 나에게 보여 주곤 했다. 

한번은 필자의 집에 초대해서 저녁 식사를 대접할 기회가 있었는데 아주 귀한 선물인 에델바이스 벽걸이를 이때에 선물로 주셔서 잊을 수 없는 추억으로 남아 있다. 알프스 산맥 산정에서 자란 고산식물인, ‘에델바이스'를 꽃 모양 그대로 말려서 액자 안에 넣어 벽걸이로 만든 것을 주시면서 “하나밖에 없는 아주 귀한 것을 주니 이 꽃을 볼 때마다 자기를 기억하고 기도해달라'고 하셨다. 그리고 또 다른 한 선물은 대한민국 독립훈장문화장(윤보선 대통령이 수여)과 서울 시장으로부터 받은 행운의 금 열쇠를 들고 찍은 자신의 사진을 큼직하게 만든 액자 안에 넣은 벽걸이를 선물로 주셨다. 

그런데 그토록 애지중지 아끼던 에델바이스 꽃 벽걸이는 이사를 여러 번 하는 동안 그만 분실하고 말았다. 두고두고 집안을 샅샅이 뒤져 보았지만 끝내 찾지 못해 아쉬운 마음 금할 길 없다. 그분의 귀한 선물은 잃어버렸지만 그분이 남긴 교훈은 내 가슴에 영원히 샛별처럼 빛나고 있다. 

1919년 삼일 독립운동 때 우리나라 독립운동을 위하여 삼일운동에 민족대표 34인으로 참여, 일인주간의 영어신문에 익명으로 일본정책을 비난하는 글 기고, 제암리 사건 현장 답사 후 기록, 삼일 운동 시 일본의 비인도적 만행 중지를 호소, 일본 동경 극동지구 선교사 전체회의에서 삼일운동을 알림, 유관순 열사 등 삼일 운동 관련형 복무자 방문 및 격려 등 우리나라 독립을 위해 헌신하신 우리의 위대한 애국자이시다. 

에델바이스란 고귀한 흰 빛이란 뜻이며 알프스의 영원한 꽃으로 유명하다. 비바람 몰아치고 차가운 눈 보 라 속에서도 강하게 살아남아 눈같이 하얀 꽃을 피우는 작고 약하게 보이지만 강한 꽃… 별처럼 생긴 벨벳 같 은 하얀 꽃은 순수의 상징으로 묘사된다. 에델바이스를 더욱 좋아하게 된 이유가 또 하나 있다. ‘사운드 오브 뮤직’에 나오는 남자 주인공 오스트리아의 트랩 해군 퇴역 대령이 수녀와 로맨스에 빠지면서 자녀 앞에서 기타를 치면서 ‘에델바이스’ 노래를 부르던 모습이 너무나 감명이 깊었다. 오스트리아가 나치에 합병되어 더 이상 발붙일 수 없게 되자 마지막으로 조국을 떠나기에 앞서 이 노래를 부르면서 조국이 에델바이스처럼 혹독한 시련을 잘 견뎌 줄것 을 바라는 간절한 마음으로 이 노래를 불러 관람객들의 심금을 더 울려 주었다. 그래서 이 아름다운 꽃을 더 사랑하게 되었다. 

박사님께서 한국을 사랑한 위대한 애국심과 교훈은 우리들 가슴을 뜨겁게 해주고 영원히 우리들 가슴속에 횃불처럼 활활 타오르리라. 에델바이스 꽃처럼 순결하고 고귀했던 스코필드 박사님의 삶. 추위와 비바람에도 살아남은 에델바이스 꽃처럼 불의에 절대로 굴하지 않고 정의로운 삶을 사신 강인한 인격의 소유자 스코필드 박사님이야말로 우리에게 귀감이 되시는 훌륭한 인격자요, 신앙인이다. 당신을 사랑합니다. 존경합니다. 우리의 영원한 애국자 스코필드 박사님. 오늘 이 자리에 당신을 기립니다. 

My memory of Dr. Schofield with the Edelweiss flower

Translated by Soo Yong Kim

Edelweiss flower blooms on the alpine summit in the Alps of Switzerland. I did not know what it looked like, until I saw it. Dr. Schofield, who was 34th patriot in the ‘March 1st Independence Movement’ in Korea, gave me such a beautiful flower dried in a frame. It was so pretty that I exclaimed with joy. Dr. Schofield bought me this souvenir, on his visit to Switzerland. I had hung it on the wall to remember him for what he has done for Korean Independence from Japan and for the Korean people including myself.

The College of Liberal Arts of Seoul National University stood apposite to the Medical College of Seoul National University. There was a Foreign Teacher’s House at the corner of the campus of the Medical College in which all the foreign professors lived together. I used to go to the library of College of Liberal Arts which was very close to my house for further study for my major. If I had had some questions about English literature, I would have visited an exchange English professor living at the Foreign Teacher’s House. One day, I came across Dr. Schofield in the hallway at the above house. We introduced each other. At that time, I saw him limping, and carrying his cane. I thought he might need some help, and I tried to visit him as often as I could.

When I met him for the first time, he was teaching at the Veterinary College of Seoul National University. He showed me what God’s love was through his daily life. He was our example and mentor. Dr. Schofield had a very strong faith in God. He always emphasized his most favorite verse of the Bible, John 12:24, ‘I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only one single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.’ As a missionary, he wanted to be ‘a dying grain’ for Korea to please God.

When I told him that I majored in English language, he asked me whether I could interpret for him at an orphanage or somewhere else, and I was willing to help him out. As time went by, we became very close. He gave me an English name Gwen, and Dora for my sister. He wanted to be our uncle. He always singed in his letters with ‘Uncle Frank’. I love this precious name and use it as my E-mail address now. He used to write countless letters to his acquaintances and friends all over the world in the night time for fund-raising for scholarships. Many young promising students were granted scholarships and many poor orphans were taken care of as well. When I helped him with writing letters, I was so touched to tears. He was not free with his extremities at will due to infantile paralysis. He made a lot of effort to finish even one letter. He inspired me with respect in such toil.

One day, I invited him to my house for dinner. In the presence of all my family members, he gave me his souvenir flower and his framed photo taken with the Order of Culture Merit of the Republic of Korea by Former President, Yoon, Bo Sun. The photo shows him holding a gold key in his hands presented by the Vice Mayor of the Special City of Seoul. His photo has hung on the wall of my living room for more than half a century (56 years). The framed photo has been well preserved without fading in color. He asked me to pray for him, whenever I see them hanging on the wall. Unfortunately, I have lost the Edelweiss flower in America. It might be lost packing my stuffs to move to another place. I was so sad to lose it

However, his lessons and words dwell vividly in my heart like twinkling and spangled stars at night. They lead and guide me as hope into light even in a dark tunnel. In 1919, when the March 1 Movement took place, the Japanese government cruelly suppressed the Korean people by tortures, killing with knives and spears. Some people in Cheam-ri were burnt to death. Dr. Schofield, risking his own safety and life, took pictures of Japanese atrocities against the Koreans and wrote many articles against their barbarism in Korea.

Dr. Schofield dwells in our heart vividly. His patriotism and love for Korea kindled us by torch flame and brightened our country from our struggle. He played a very important and significant role to bring us freedom from Japanese colonial rule. What a noble and purified life he had all his life! He is a man of justice and righteousness without compromising injustice and unrighteousness. He is a man of perseverance. He was very stern and strict. He called himself “Tiger, grandfather.” He told me that his pigeon’s feathers all had fallen off and instead, “Tiger” appeared all of a sudden to fight against Japan.

He quenched our thirst for freedom. Thanks to him and God, we have liberation from Japan and our country, Korea, has earned credit for strong nation. Korea stands aloft as a nation of great economic power. He had prayed to God for our country. He sowed a seed as a ‘dying grain’ for our country. Now, our nation yields a fruitful harvest and is prosperous in many ways. Whenever I look at his framed photo hanging on the wall above fire place, it reminds me of his patriotism for Korea with a souvenir flower “Edelweiss”. “Edelweiss” comes from two German words. “Edel” means “nobility” and “weiss” is the German word for “white.” The small white blossoms represent daring or noble courage. The flowers are felted and woolly with white hairs, with characteristic bloom consisting of five to six small yellow flower heads surrounded by leaflets in star form. When I saw this beautiful flower, I was crazy about the beauty. Even if it was a dried flower in frame, it looked a live flower. Edelweiss is the national flower of Austria and Switzerland. It is known there as the “Queen of the Flowers.” It is called everlasting flower of the Alps.

In windy snowy storm in the Alps, Edelweiss flower survives, as tenacious alpine plant. Edelweiss blooms in white like snow. It looks small and weak. But it is strong enough to endure any hardship in spite of cold weather. It looks starry velvety flower in white. It symbolizes “purity.”

I was deeply moved to tears, when I saw Captain George von Trapp singing “edelweiss” in the musical “the Sound of Music.” He fell in love with a nun. He sang the song “Edelweiss” with his children and her, playing the guitar, before they left Austria, their homeland. The song was a defiant statement of Austrian patriotism in the face of the pressure put upon him to join the navy of Nazi Germany. The song, “Edelweiss,” for the musical “The Sound of Music,” symbolizes the spirit of Austrian patriotism in the face of the 1939 Nazi invasion.

I came to love the Edelweiss flower, because Dr. Schofield bought it for me as souvenir. It is so unique and lovely flower. I love the song, “Edelweiss” in the musical, “Sound of Music.” “Even if I had lost your precious gift “the framed Edelweiss flower,” your beautiful mind still hangs on my mind like the Edelweiss flower. Dr. Schofield, our everlasting patriot, we love you and honor you! We miss you. We gathered together to commemorate your merits. God bless Canada and Korea forevermore!

About legend for Edelweiss

There is a beautiful legend about Edelweiss flower as follows: A beautiful young girl whose name called “Edelweiss” lived in ice cubic house in the Alps of Switzerland. “Edelweiss” was an angel, but capricious God transformed her into human being. He had her descend on the summit of the Alps. One day, an alpinist found her, and he was fascinated by her beauty and loveliness. As soon as he descended the Alps, he praised her beauty to everybody whom he met. A lot of young men competed to climb the Alps to see her. However, all of the young men died due to cold weather, dangerous crags and cliffs. She heard sad stories about young men who died on the way and she prayed to her God to have her ascend to heaven. Her God listened to her and descended light beam to reverse her to be an angel again. After she left her house, there was a beautiful white flower in full bloom. People called that flower “Edelweiss”.

*2012년 6월 1일에 캐나다 온타리오, 토론토 동물원 안에 건립한 스코필드 박사 동상과 스코필드 박사 기념 한국 정원이 완공되어 opening ceremony에 초청을 받고 참석하여 이 수필을 써서 개회식 순서지에 올렸다.

*At Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Dr. Schofield’s Bronze Statue in Memorial Garden at Toronto Zoo on June 1, 2012 and Memorial Night on June 2, 2012.

13986750706_402c10f7e6.jpg

댓글 0

목록
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
398 송년회에서 웃지못할 헤푸닝 [3] file 김수영 2017.03.30 18848
397 섬진강 메기 매운탕 [1] file 김수영 2015.10.19 7713
396 나에게 날개가 있다면 file 김수영 2014.06.08 7490
395 야영지의 행운(The Luck of Roaring Camp) [2] 김수영 2016.07.27 7195
394 Mystery of King Tutankhamun [1] 김수영 2017.03.30 1657
393 자마이카 꽃잎 차 김수영 2010.09.22 1589
392 악명 높은 앨커트레즈 교도소 김수영 2010.11.18 1461
391 고 장왕록 교수님 회상 - 장영희 교수의 타계를 애도하며 김수영 2011.11.05 1424