Reflection of Service Learning

2012.04.10 12:13

이월란 조회 수:0

Reflection of Service Learning
=============================

Wolran Kim
Mar. 2012

I have never ever volunteered for those with disabilities before. So this learning opportunity slightly agitated me due to it being my first experience in my life. I filled out several online applications and called, but only one place responded. I felt lucky and immediately ran to that place but the Kostopulos Dream Foundation in Emigration Canyon was too far away from my home and it was hard to drive deep in the mountain paths. However, I realized how selfish my complaints were after meeting those people with disabilities that have Down Syndrome and various physical and mental disabilities. Moreover, I was embarrassed in front of the other staff members who take care of them every single day as their jobs.

The people who have Down Syndrome were familiar to me as an old friends’ face, and the adults and teenagers who have intellectual levels of children made me realize my lost innocence of childhood. In general, they are thirsty for love. It did not take much time to realize that their needs start with a warm interest and their affection starts with a word. I was scared when I saw a boy who had slender legs sitting on the floor, and a mute girl screaming really loud, but I tried to remember the lesson in class that I should first ask what they need. Asking what their needs were first was a very important tip rather than helping them without having any prior information about them. They cannot talk and act like ordinary people, however their feelings and tastes do not differ from normal people at all.

One weekend morning, we were watching a movie as part of one program in a minicamp event. A film, Teenagers Hair Spray, was running, and a woman, Jessica, started to jump and scream on the couch. She finally stood up and turned off the TV. Panicked staff members tried to lull her and took her downstairs. She was angry because the mini camp’s schedule was changed to watching the movie from a talent show. I was curious about how the staff would take care of her, and I went to see them. Jessica was dancing to the music and the staff was watching her show, sitting on the chairs. We normal people make promises to avoid the moment, to forget, and to distinguish between important ones and trivial ones every time we meet. But people who have disabilities never forget promises no matter how small they may be. Down Syndrome patients have one more chromosome than normal people, and that chromosome may be the innocence of childhood which is lost while we grow up.

One day approaching Valentine’s Day, all the teenagers made Valentine’s cards and crafts. Teenagers are more sensitive than adults, and I tried to help them with special attention to their clumsy hands. They were as happy as preschoolers with their rough pieces. One girl who was sitting on a special wheelchair, said to me when we were busy with crafts, “I need a hug.” I gave her a hug after hesitating a little, and her burly arms didn’t let me go for a long time. And she howled in joy just like my dog. Did she miss human touch? Many normal people also miss love and are hungry for it. She needs ordinary love and hugs rather than crafts or chocolates for a special day.

They all seemed like little children to me. They are used to getting mad at each other out of greed, and never share any snacks with each other. When we visited the aquarium, they gave the staff a hard time because they did not want to walk or they complained that they had stomachaches. I realized again and understood a little bit of how hard it would be to take care of them every day and also how much pain their families have. Their special events in special places and field trips were from donations, so I directly experienced the interest and concern of members of society and the social support that they receive helps them so much. Every seasonal and special event gives much comfort to them and their families.

I am grateful to have this experience, though it is part of an assignment for the class. I am not a person who shares everything that I have with others, but many people live to share. I am thankful for this experience because it gave me a chance to imitate those sharing people even a little. I had finished my time for the assignment, but I talked to the manager and told her she can call me when she needs a volunteer. I would not forget those faces that gave me hugs every time we saw each other or said bye again. I will be happy if someone calls and asks for my help because volunteering is the most beautiful job in human society. Sharing is the most valuable thing in this world because we receive everything for free. Also no one can leave or take anything in our lives.