박영호 서재 DB

음악감상실

| 박영호의 창작실 | 목로주점 | 갤러리 | 공지사항 | 문화영상 | 일반영상 | 영상시 | 그림감상실 | 독자마당 | 음악감상실 |

Mickey Newbury / Danny Boy

2007.02.02 20:09

박영호 조회 수:41 추천:2

"Mickey Newbury / Danny Boy + American Trilogy"

1960년대 중반 이후에 활동한 미국 싱어 송라이터 제 2세대 중에서 'Willie Nelson', 'Kris Kristofferson' 과 더불어 가장 위대한 인물로 명예의 전당에 오른 싱어송 라이터! 'Mickey Newbury'(1940~2002) 그는 텍사스에서 태어나 40여년의 오랜 음악활동을 통해 미국 음악 역사에 기록된 훌륭한 곡들을 발표해온 가수이다. 그리고 또한 싱어 송라이터로서의 실력 뿐만이 아니라 성실하고 순수한 영혼을 지닌 인간으로서 많은 동료 뮤지션들에게 기억되고 있다. 특히 그의 명곡 'American Trilogy' 는 Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Joan Baez, Kenny Rogers, Waylon Jennings, 그리고 London Symphony Orchestra에 이르기 까지 무수한 유명 뮤지션들에 의해 리바이벌 되었고 2005년 현재에 이르기까지 182번 이나 다른 아티스트에 의해 녹음된 것으로 기록되어 있다. 그 이외의 곡들 또한 Johnny Cash, John Denver, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Box Tops 등 무려 542명의 뮤지션들에 의해 752번이나 리메이크된 것으로 집계되어 있는데 이는 Beatles 급의 수퍼 뮤지션들을 제외하곤 이루어지기 힘든 놀라운 기록으로 그의 곡들이 동시대의 후배 뮤지션들에게 있어서 얼마나 훌륭한 창작물로 비추어져 왔는가를 단적으로 증명하는 하나의 예 이기도 하다. 'Oh Danny boy' 는 19세기 중엽부터 아일랜드 북부에서 불려지던 'London Derry Air'가 원곡이다. (It Might As Well Be The Moon, 1999) Mickey Newbury / Danny Boy (Live) Oh Danny boy The pipes The pipes are calling from glen to glen and down the mountain side The summer`s gone And all the flowers are dying It`s you it`s you must go And I must bide But come here back when summer`s in the meadow All when the valley`s hushed and white with snow Yes I`ll be here in sunshine or in shadow Oh danny boy oh danny boy I love you so Oh Danny boy The pipes The pipes are calling from glen to glen and down the mountain side The summer`s gone And all the roses are falling It's you it's you must go And I must bide But come you back when summer's in the meadow And when the valley's hushed and white with snow Yes I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow Oh Danny boy oh Danny boy I love you so Oh Danny boy oh Danny boy I love you so Mickey Newbury / American Trilogy (Frisco Mabel Joy, 1971) Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton Old things they are not forgotten Look away, look away, look away Dixieland Oh I wish I was in Dixie, away, away In Dixieland I take my stand to live and die in Dixie Cause Dixieland, that's where I was born Early Lord one frosty morning Look away, look away, look away Dixieland Glory, glory hallelujah Glory, glory hallelujah Glory, glory hallelujah His truth is marching on So hush little baby Don't you cry You know your daddy's bound to die But all my trials, Lord will soon be over 문지영 2007.2.1.